Friday, April 1, 2011

Never Talk Politics With a Redneck

OK, this is why I generally don’t work with the public.  It’s just way more stress than I can handle.

I’m doing the “store sitting” duty while my in-laws are out of town, so today I’m out with the general public.  Most people think, Illinois, blue state, but that isn’t the case everywhere.  We have some areas that are so red they still think George W. Bush was a great president.  This is one of those areas.

Generally I get along fine with the customers, we talk animals, gardening, pest control, and other such things.  Pretty easy.  Today I had a gentleman that made me bite a hole in my tongue.

Once again, it is President Obama’s fault that gas prices are rising.  It has nothing to do with what’s going on in Libya (despite the fact Libya isn’t even one of our top 15 import partners of oil), it’s just all Obama’s fault.  I managed to keep my mouth shut.

So how it is our president’s fault?  Because he won’t consent to drill in Alaska!  Now for the best part:  The guy realizes and accepts the fact that it would destroy endangered animals and wildlife.  He accepts the fact that oil drilling hurts people.  His logic?  And I quote, “Would you rather die of cancer at 75 or starvation at 40?”  HUH?!?!?!?!  How’s this sound, I’d rather die of old age at 90 than die of poisoning at 60.  

So it doesn’t matter to this old goat if the environment is ruined for our children, if we use oil until we can’t find any more instead of developing new resources, as long as HE’S happy!

I’m happy to report that I did NOT pick up a pricing gun and throw it at him.  I did manage to keep my lip zipped until the door shut behind him.  My in-laws owe me BIG this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment